Friday, March 11, 2011

Design A Dream Room!

So many of us have problems committing to any one decorating style, be it because of a limited budget or just plain indecision. Believe me, I understand the struggle firsthand. Living in a one bedroom apartment that I cannot paint or remodel in any way has left me with some real design issues, not to mention the limited time and money. I am not entirely proud to admit that much of my furniture is quite a mishmash of of wedding gifts and second hand pieces. I have brown carpets mixed with varying shades of woodgrains, black contemporary appliances and a couple green couches thrown in for good measure. Whew. But one room in the house has become my oaisis of design; it's the boudoir that I have focused on picking out great pieces for. I have coordinated a few great pieces in my bedroom to pull the look together and make it something I am glad to come home to at the end of the day.
There are a few simple steps to tackling a design plan for any room, and with just a few additions, your personal style can truly come through and shine!

Step 1: Get a Design Theme:
Whether it is inspired by a color palette, a place, a word, or even a single object, part of what makes a room appealing to the eye is having a coordinated design plan where everything goes well together. With that said, it doesn't mean your room should be super matchy-matchy; it just means to eliminate any unnecessary items that don't fit in with the look of your room.

I personally have always loved a classic baroque/victorian style and I also have a great passion for nature, so I decided to combine these inspirations in a palette black, white, gray and red.

Step 2: Begin Collecting Key Pieces:
Once I had a vision in mind, I began shopping for items that would bring my ideas to life. I found the great comforer set below. It's about 3 years old now but it was originally about $60 from Target (although registering for it as a wedding gift, I got it free!) Target is a great place for marginally priced, chic home goods, especially if you happen to catch them on sale. I recommend going into the store to get a more accurate feel for the item you are considering purchasing, but of course you can always shop on line.
The sheet set I just purchaced from Anna's Linens last week. They were only $14.99 for a full set, and even Wal Mart couldn't beat their prices, averaging about $24 for similar sets. Anna's is a fabulous place to shop for discount housewares! http://annaslinens.com/
I am also a huge fan of candles and wall art! Just picture this at night glowing with candle light! This wall hanging was $5, the small candleholder $4 for a set of 2, and the candle/jewelry holder only $8, all from the Goodwill! They are some of the accent pieces that really make my room feel special! 


Lighting is always an important consideration. You want enough light to suit your purposes. If you like to read in bed, it is good to have a small ajustable lamp on your nightstand. We have a large window that lets in lots of natural light, so we opted for one small lamp to provide a relaxing glow, instead of bright overhead lights. A floor lamp, or a small chandelier, can also be excellent and beautiful choices. The silver lamp pictured was bought on sale at target for only $9.99 and the lampshade came from Ross for only 5.99! Ross is another amazing discount store with everything from clothes to housewares and electronics! I think the last time I visited I ended up with a shirt, a bath set, and a popcorn maker! Sadly they are not an online retailer, but to find your nearest store location go to: http://rossstores.com/
Step 3: Arrange Furniture for Style AND Functionality:
An important thing to consider about design is the flow of the room. Where are people going to be walking? Where would you like people to face when sitting or lying down? What areas need to be kept free of furniture (consider placement of AC/heaters, fuseboxes, closet doors, ect.)? The goal is to set up your room in a manner that is both easy to use and pleasing to the eye. Having a plain square bedroom with one window; it was rather easy to arrange. The bed went against the wall opposite the door with a nightstand on either side and a dresser in the corner next to the closet. With the rest of the floor space free, it is easy to walk around in and makes for a comfortable place to relax. Even if you can't paint you walls or add special architecture to a room, you can arrange meaningful items in an eyecaching design to really make a room pop. Above our bed, my husband and I hung pieces of art that we created, a cluster of photos of special places that I took, and a wood carving of my husband's favorite band that he made. If you are surrouned by items that make you happy, it doesn't really matter how much they cost!
Step 4: Sit Back and Enjoy:
Just remember: decorating does not have to be difficult or stressful. The goal is always to have fun creating a space that you feel comfordable in and that inspires you to be your best self. Think about what you love in life and the ideas will come!

If you have read and enjoyed this blog, please let me know! I would love to see pics of your own favorite rooms and hear your ideas about where to get inexpensive housewares. If you want to show of your design style, email me pics at morningviewangel99@yahoo.com and they could be featured in an upcoming post!

No comments:

Post a Comment