Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The Scented Squirrel Cold Sniff Thoughts


I had been excitedly anticipating the grand opening of The Scented Squirrel and I'm glad I was able to place an order! I ordered on Saturday night and my package was mailed promptly on Monday morning. I received it today (Wednesday); less than a week's turn around time is awesome! The wax was securely packaged in a padded envelope and a ton of bubble wrap and tape. It was so secure in fact, that it too quite a while to extricate my waxy treasures. :) Everything arrived in perfect condition; no broken cups or melted wax. The labels are quite charming and easy to read. The acorns and squirrels are a very cute theme and I like that each scent included the pour date and scent description as well as the name. It gives you all the info you need to know at a glance. Very convenient for the customer.
They had quite a variety of scents available at their first opening, probably around 20, and I ordered all the ones that sounded up my alley; about a dozen. Many of the blends sound very unique and I'm so excited to sniff them!
So without further ado, cold sniff thoughts:

Sweet Squirrel (cinnamon sugared pralienes): A very sweet and strong scent, heavy on the cinnamon at first with candied nut undertones. A scrumptious blend! I think this would be very festive for the holidays. Strong.

Elena (magnolia, orange blossom & rose): Oooh, such a heavenly floral! Strong fresh rose opening followed by the heady perfume of blossoming magnolia and orange trees. It does have a slight laundry detergent note which I usually don't like, but it doesn't bother me in this case. I think the rose is prominent enough that it has won me over. Also beautifully decorated with dried rose petals. Strong.

Alex (blue sugar violet): Very unique; unlike any sugared violet scent I've smelled before. It's just a bit sweet, a little creamy, and wonderfully floral. Again, a slight fresh detergent note for me but not bothersome. Excited to see what notes are prominent when melting. Strong.

Jessica (peppermint fluff & salt water taffy):
A candy shop in a cup! It reminds me of my trips to the Santa Cruz Beach Boarwalk where they pull fresh salt water taffy. Fond memories. :) Delightful opening notes of cool peppermint candy followed by the distinct sweetness of taffy. Moderate.

Joan's Swedish Cookies (vanilla caramel almond cookies): What an excellent and exotic bakery blend! Shortbread type cookie with a prominent almond note and just a hint of drizzled caramel. Smells yummy without being overly sweet. Moderate.

Kristina (root beer and vanilla) Smells just like a root beer float; love it! Heavy on the root beer which is realistic and effervescent, light on the vanilla. Strong.

Coco Goes To Key West (coconut cream pie & key lime pie):
Not your average coconut lime scent! The creaminess of the coconut, tartness of the lime, and sweet buttery goodness of the pie crust are expertly blended here. Fairly strong.

Kalidoscope Eyes (blood orange, vanilla, sandalwood & pachouli): I love that this is part of a charity series where $1 of every melt sold goes to the charity indicated. This blend immediately sounded good to me and I wish I'd orderd more! The fragrant orange oil comes through and there is an intriguing nip of spice from the pachouli, but it's mellowed by the warm sandalwood and creamy vanilla. If you like exotic, warm, woodsy scents, you'll love this! Fairly strong.

Grandma Shreve's Blueberry Cobbler: 
I was glad to see limited stock of the West Virginia sampler scents offered individually. I don't always want every scent in a sampler, but there were several from this one that I did want and was able to snag! This is a realistic, tart, blueberry bakery blend. A little less sweet than an average blueberry muffin type; smells like it could have been made with actual blueberry juice! Fairly strong.

Grandma Shreve's Butterscotch Pie: I'll tell you; this was the West Virginia scent I was most interested in and it's absolutely decadent! I wish I had the real thing to eat. Mouthwatering butterscotch cream and flaky pie crust. Strong.

Crackling Fire: I love this! Crisp, pine, a wisp of smoke, and cold winter air. Smells very similar to other scents of this type that I've loved. Very well done; is not obnoxious to the senses at all. Strong.

Christine (fruit loops & vanilla cupcake): Mmmm... just as I'd hoped it would be. Smells like a fluffy cupcake slathered in vanilla frosting and sprinkled with fruit loops cereal. I love it! Strong.

Free samples:

Rowan (orange chiffon cake & buttercream) This is the that one almost got away. This scent jumped out of my cart before I could finish paying, but the owners were so kind as to include one in my order! I'm glad they did because it's an indulgent blend of creamy orange cake swirled with sweet vanilla buttercream. Heavenly! Strong.

Citrus Sands (golden sands & bergamot):
An intriguing blend. Quite fresh and bright, a touch herbal and orange, kind of like a dish soap. Not really my thing, but pleasant. Moderate.

Overall I'm incredibly happy with my first Thre Scented Squirrel order! I hope these tarts throw well; there is not a single dud in the bunch on cold sniff. I anticipate more great things to come from The Scented Squirrel.

No comments:

Post a Comment