Friday, September 16, 2016

Fall Fun Series: Fall Music

I thought this was a really interesting topic for a blog post, because it there really such a thing as "fall" music? Not really in the same way that there's Christmas music for example, with thousands of ubiquitous Christmas songs. Other than perhaps Monster Mash or maybe Thriller playing on the radio this time of year, I can't really think of a specific anthem or genre of music that represents the fall and Halloween season.

This inspired me to think a little deeper and interpret "fall" music as something that can evoke imagery of fall or feeling that one would relate to fall. I came up with two songs that give me that almost melancholy autumn vibe of wide open spaces, colorful foliage and mercurial weather.

The first is of the old school country variety that the hubby and I developed a taste for during trucking a few years ago. It's basically mandatory trucker music, but a lot of it really speaks to my soul. Whenever I heard John Denver's Country Roads, I'd get pretty homesick. I'm from the country in California, not West Virginia, but I really connect to the imagery in the song. Especially these lines-
"Radio reminds me of my home/far away/And driving/down the road/I get a feeling that I should have been home yesterday, yesterday. Country roads/take me home/to the place/where I belong."


We went through a lot of beautiful rural areas in state back east; winding roads with gorgeous fall foliage, and it always made me think that if I followed these roads long enough they'd lead me back to the ones I was familiar with. Since I've called a certain area home almost my whole life, I have images burned into my mind of those familiar back roads I would drive, where every tree, field, house and bend in the river is, and the feelings of longing, coziness and familiarity evoked by those images are synonymous with fall to me. Admiring the natural beauty of the season always made me feel connected to home no matter where I was, if that makes sense. 
Here are a few photos that help capture some of my fall memories.
This first photo is my ideal "Country Roads" image. It was taken in September 2013 in the village of New Berlin, New York. That area really captivated me; it's been my phone's home screen photo for years.
These two photos were taken in my parent's yard in December of 2014.

I have actually been to West Virginia too; it was quite nice. I didn't find any great landscape photos, but this selfie was taken in March 2013 in a cool 50's style diner in Fairmont West Virginia. We look so young!

The second of the two songs that gives me super moody fall vibes is Make It Rain by Ed Sheeran. It was actually debuted on the series finale of Sons of Anarchy, which was a show I followed. Not only was it the perfect soundtrack of the tumultuous end of this series but everything from the angst ridden opening guitar solo to the weather metaphor driven lyrics, this song really makes me think about a beginning of fall thunderstorm that washes away the heat of the summer.
"And let the clouds fill with thunderous applause/and let lightning be the veins And fill the sky/With all that they can drop/When it's time/To make a change/Make it rain"
Very fall like, don't you think?
Not to mention that even though the town of Charming where SOA takes place is fictional, it is set in central California and mentions many nearby to me cities that are real, so I have that extra connection to it.



What do you think of these songs? What would you consider "fall" music? Does any particular song evoke images of fall for you?




9 comments:

  1. I love this post and your photos. You have me craving a road trip. I love song Country Roads. I don't know what I'd really consider fall music myself. I've never really lived in an area that had fall weather, so that's probably why. I need more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! A fall road trip sounds like a great idea. :)

      Delete
  2. Great song choices, Country Roads is a perfect fall song and driving during the fall season can be so beautiful and peaceful. I believe fall can be a little wistful as the leaves fall from the trees and summer slips away. Love your photos, too!
    Jaybird

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love driving and seeing all the foliage!

      Delete
  3. "I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran gets played a lot by me but I have never heard this song. Thank you for sharing. I love it and will add it to my playlist. John Denver. Oh yes. Love John Denver. Adam and I used to listen to tons of old country like The Highway Men and Don Williams. I even took him to a Don Williams concert earlier this year and we were the only people there without grey hair. LOL! But The Gentle Giant was fantastic as always even though he is in his 70's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the songs! Ed Sheeran has a beautiful voice; I need to listen to more of his songs. I am familiar with The Highwaymen; how cool that you got to see Don Williams in concert!

      Delete
  4. Great post! I totally see how these songs bring images of autumn to the mind.
    That picture of New Berlin NY is gorgeous! I understand why it's your phone background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Glad you enjoyed the songs and photos.

      Delete
  5. Love your pictures from the road. Those blue skies and fluffy clouds!

    ReplyDelete