Monday, August 14, 2017

Book Review: The Poison Apples


A fun read, passed on to me by my bloggy friend Julie. The only thing better than a book is a free book; thank you!

Imagine yourself as a teen again. Did you have a step parent or know someone who did? The main protagonists of this novel Alice, Reena and Molly did. In fact they all believed they had terrible, horrible, awful step mothers. After dealing with various traumatic happenings with their step-monsters these three girls land in a fancy East coast boarding school and while they seem to have little in common at first, they eventually bond over their shared distain for their stepmothers and set into motion a series of plans to take power away from their stepmoms that end up in surprising results.

I have a feeling I would have enjoyed/related to this novel more as a teen. It did keep me occupied for the three or so hours it took me to read it, but it really was a fluff piece; no substantial modern classic worthy literature here. The writing was ok, no glaring flaws, and even a couple of mildly surprising plot twists. Some of the characters annoyed me; it was hard to have sympathy for them when certain elements of the character development were so unrealistic and some situations they got in were down right ridiculous. Let's just say attempted theft of a penguin was involved...

This novel was so full of first world problems that my eyes ached from rolling by the end. It was a perfectly ok piece of writing, but just not something I connected with. I appreciated the meager entertainment value it provided me with. At least it wasn't unbearable. I've only not finished a small handful of books of the thousands I've cracked open and it's the most disappointing feeling. 3/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment